GRAMA REQUESTS (Requests for Records)


Government Records Access Management Act

 Frequently Asked Questions

 What is GRAMA?

The Government Records Access and Management Act (“GRAMA”) is a Utah law that provides the public with the right to access certain “records” prepared, maintained or controlled by a government entity.  The full text of GRAMA can be found in Title 63G, Chapter 2, of the Utah Code. 

 What is a record?

GRAMA defines a “record” as “a book, letter, document, paper, map, plan, photograph, film, card, tape, recording, electronic data, or other documentary material regardless of physical form . . . .”  However, there are several exceptions, such as notes and drafts which are not subject to disclosure.  For a complete list and explanation of what does and does not constitute a record, see Utah Code § 63G-2-103. 

 Are all records subject to disclosure?

No.  Records are classified as “public,” “protected,” “private” or “controlled” pursuant to GRAMA.  While all records classified as public are subject to disclosure, records classified as protected, private, or controlled are not disclosed unless an exception applies or a court orders disclosure.  For a comprehensive list of record classifications, see Utah Code § 63G-2-301 et seq. 

 What records can I access without submitting a GRAMA request?

Before submitting a GRAMA request, check to see if the information you are seeking is available on the Milford City Municipal website: The following frequently requested records are available online:

  • Council Minutes and Recordings via Utah Public Notice Website 
  • Milford City Municipal Code                     

Who can make a GRAMA request?

  **The quickest and most efficient way to submit a request is through the Open Records Portal by clicking ⇒ ⇒ HERE  ⇐

Any person may submit a GRAMA request.  The GRAMA request should be directed to the governmental entity that prepares, owns, or retains the requested records.  All GRAMA requests must be in writing, signed by the requestor, and must include the following information: 

  • the requester’s name;
  • mailing address and daytime phone number, if available; and
  • a description of the record requested with that identifies the record with reasonable specificity. 

 See Utah Code § 63G-2-204. 

 Can I make a request for prospective records?

No.  The requested record must exist at or before the date of the request. 

 Can I make a request for the same record twice?

Governmental entities are not required to fulfill records requests that unreasonably duplicate prior requests from the same person. 

 Will I be charged a fee for making a GRAMA request?

Governmental entities may charge fees as provided in Sections 63G-2-203 and 63G-2-204.  

 How long does it take for a governmental entity to respond to my GRAMA request?

Governmental entities have a maximum of ten (10) business days to respond to non-expedited requests and five (5) business days to respond to expedited requests. Utah Code § 63G-2-204.  Expedited requests should include an explanation of how an expedited response will benefit the public rather than the person making the request.  See Utah Code § 63G-2-204(3).